Benefits of Learning a Second Language
Learning a second language, for most at least, is usually so that they can get a new job, travel, date people of other nationalities or even just for fun. What you may not know is that learning a new language has additional benefits. If you are wondering whether you should learn a new language consider that you will gain all of the following:
• You will get added brain power. The best way to learn a language is to immerse yourself in it as much as you can. This forces your brain to open pathways that it wasn’t previously using.
• You will become much better at multi tasking if you learn a new language. When you learn a new language you are able to slip from language to language with minimum discomfort. The same also seems to apply to activities – you will be able to carry out more than one task with relative ease.
• You will hold off Alzheimer’s and dementia for about 5 years. Researchers have found that multilingual seniors tend to develop these memory related conditions after the age of 75. Their monolingual counterparts generally get it at about the age of 70.
• You will improve your memory. Again, this has to do with the best way to learn a language. You have to memorize and remember what you memorized. In the process of doing this you strengthen your memory from day to day.
• You will become more alert. Scientists have found that people who speak more than one language tend to notice things in the environment that monolingual people do not. This in turn makes them more critical thinkers.
• You will become a better decision maker. When your brain learns a new language it has to learn to evaluate meaning and appropriateness all the time. The search for his balance is what makes multilingual people better decision makers.
• You will improve your English by learning a new language. This is because as you learn you become aware of language rules that you may not have been aware apply to English as well. As you apply these rules you will find that your English becomes better and better.
• If you are a student you will find that your will perform better in other subjects by learning a new language because in the process you are improving your cognitive skills.
• You will become more tolerant of other cultures.
The best way to learn a new language is to get right into it – that way, you will get to experience all these benefits.